Municipal Election Spotlight: Wyatt Tanton

Municipal Election Spotlight: Wyatt Tanton

Wyatt holding a yellow sign that reads "Elect Wyatt Tanton for City Council"


What position are you running for?

  •       I’m running for Camrose City Councillor.

Why did you want to run for office? 

  •  I’ve always wanted to work in public service to try and help my community, whether that’s building upon our strengths or repairing our weaknesses, so that the next generation gets it better than we have. I believe I’m the right person for the job because I’m young enough to be idealistic and optimistic about the future but experienced enough to understand the importance of translating idealism into tangible, effective policy – and I think we need that diversity of perspectives on Council.

Tell us your favorite library story:

  • I don’t really have a single favourite library story, because for me, my favourite part of the library is that it’s always been a place that’s consistent. The librarians are always helpful and friendly, the space is always calming, and if you wander the rows of books for long enough, you’ll always find what you’re looking for – even if you didn’t know what it was when you got there. It’s hard to think of a singular positive experience because, especially as a kid, libraries have always just been the most positive place to be.

What are you reading or watching right now? 

  • Recently I’ve finished watching a few documentaries about Jane Jacobs, an amazing city planner who revolutionized the way we think about urban planning, community-building, and public safety. I’ve got a couple books on the shelf that I’m starting on such as Rutger Bregman’s Utopia for Realists, but I’m currently watching Squid Game and I’ve just finished The Crown.

What do you think the Camrose public library brings to the community and how can you support us better?

  •       I think the biggest thing the Public Library brings to the community is a home base of sorts. Everyone in the city is able to use the space and the resources to help build up themselves and their community, in big or small ways, and I think that’s essential to our city. I would like to work with the library to help expand the range of services – with how much our city has grown, both in terms of land and population, the library needs to be supported in its efforts to keep up with the demand and keep providing that critical community-building support, and in particular I would like to work with the library to help increase access for families living in the southern half of the city.

What is your vision for the City of Camrose?

  •       My vision for Camrose is for this to become a more connected, community-oriented city. The library is an excellent example of the kind of public service that fundamentally improves the quality of a city for the better, and I would like to see Camrose embrace more opportunities to build together. 

Link to Campaign:  https://linktr.ee/wyatttanton