Municipal Election Spotlight: Larissa Berlin

Municipal Election Spotlight: Larissa Berlin

Larissa wears a green shirt and is outside

What position are you running for?

  • I am running for Camrose City Councillor.

Why did you want to run for office? 

  • I have always wanted to serve in my community and be a part of the something bigger. It has been a dream of mind to run for council since I was young, and to contribute to a better Camrose.

Tell us your favorite library story:

  • My favorite library story occurred when I was a kid. The Summer Reading Programs theme was Superhero’s. We received some awesome t-shirts that we wore to those programs. The students that were running the program set out a challenge that whoever came to every program would receive an awesome prize at the end. I remember begging my parents to go every week, to make sure I was in the running for the prize. Not that the prize mattered, it was a trophy made of tin foil. At the end of summer, they handed out the prize and I was the only kid who showed up every week for the programs. I had so much fun and learned so much that summer. I have that memory replaying in my head every time I walk in or drive past the library!

What are you reading or watching right now? 

  • I just started reading Malibu Rising by Taylor Jenkins Reid. For TV or movies, I haven’t been watching a lot of TV, but I did enjoy watching the Olympics and Paralympic Games this Summer. It was great to see our Canadian athletes showcase their talents and inspire the next generation.

What do you think the Camrose public library brings to the community and how can you support us better?

  • One of my policies in my platform is I want to renovate or revitalize the library. The library is central to the community. It is a place for the community to gather, and it brings the community together. The library offers educational and support programs for all ages and demographics. It offers a place for printing, accessing the internet, and job searching. It also provides an indispensable resource for information, and for access to literature. My vision is for the library to offer these services and then some, in an environment that allows the community of every age to enjoy the library as a community space as well as find the resources they are searching for. 

What is your vision for the City of Camrose?

  • My vision for Camrose is for the community to be heard and voice their concerns in big decisions the City Council makes. I want to build up our public transportation. I’d also like to support all our programs and organizations. For example, our Newcomers programs, Senior programs and organizations, New Parent programs and Mental Health organizations. I would also like to build up our economy and support our small businesses.

Facebook Page- Larissa Berlin for Camrose City Council