Municipal Election Spotlight: Julie Girard

Municipal Election Spotlight: Julie Girard

Julie wears a light shirt in front of a white background


What position are you running for?

  • City council.

Why did you want to run for office? 

  • I love Camrose and the people that are a part of our community.  This is a way that I can participate and give back.  

Tell us your favorite library story:

  • The library that I spent the most time in was the Grande Prairie Regional College Library.  I returned to University as an adult.  At the time I was.a single mom with three kids.  The library was my sanctuary, my study hall, and my happy place.  I wrote papers, read articles and textbooks, did homework, and occasionally napped in a cubicle.  I have many fond memories of this beautiful library with its Cardinal inspired curves.

What are you reading or watching right now? 

  • The heartbeat of trees is the book I'm reading ( learning),  The Canadian accessibility act for our Lending Cupboard project ( information and knowledge), sept 27 issue of the New Yorker (fun),  and Alberta Views July/August (understanding).

What do you think the Camrose public library brings to the community and how can you support us better?

  • Libraries give every person access to a world of knowledge and entertainment, this has always been.  Libraries have also become a safe haven, a place for people who have no place.  Children now have a warm and welcoming place to go after school.   Homeless people have computer access to apply for work or find social aids.  Elders have a gathering place.  Libraries are the heart of the community.  COVID had made all organizations pause and consider everything that they do and how it is being done, libraries are no exception.  What does our future look like and how do we move forward with greater purpose?   I think this will be our greatest challenge.

What is your vision for the City of Camrose?

  • To connect people from all sectors of our community.  To enhance and preserve our cities livability while encouraging economic growth and well being.