Municipal Election Spotlight: Carlene Wetthuhn

Municipal Election Spotlight: Carlene Wetthuhn

Carlene wears a purple sweater and is outside.

Hello residents of Camrose County and fellow readers!  My name is Carlene Wetthuhn and I am running for County Council in Division 5.  I have been a resident of Camrose County for 12 years, where my husband and I are raising our two sons on an acreage south of Round Hill.  I am an active member of my community and enjoy volunteering in many capacities.  I’m very approachable; I enjoy connecting with new people and am willing to listen to their concerns.  I truly love living in rural Alberta and believe strongly that we need a greater voice in the province.  My goal as County Councillor is to offer a new perspective on issues concerning county residents and add diversity to council. 

My favourite library memories stem from childhood where libraries were widely used for both pleasure reading and school work.  I spent a lot of time at the library in my home town, and remember my school libraries very well.  My parents are both avid readers, whether it be the morning newspaper they still read front to back every day, or a good novel, or sports magazine.  I have tried to instill my own love of reading to my children and I can remember taking them to the library when they were very little and borrowing their same favourite books over and over again.  

I typically read suspense/crime thriller novels, and I enjoy biographies and memoirs. I just began reading a book borrowed to me by a friend, called “Educated”. It’s a memoir written by a woman who was raised in a very off-the-grid lifestyle and how she comes to educate herself and have a life in mainstream society.  I also recently re-read the Max Domi book entitled “No Days Off” about his journey to the NHL while being diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes.  My son read this book and recommended it to me.  Some of my favourite authors are David Baldacci, Lee Child, John Grisham and James Patterson.  I don’t watch a lot of television but when I do it’s usually a 6pm news broadcast, or we’ll have a Jays or Oilers game on.  I enjoy true crime and investigative reporting shows, and I watch as much Jeopardy as I can!  I just hope they can find a permanent host soon (I vote for Mayim Bialik).

I think the library continues to be a valuable part of the City and County.  Reading brings together from all walks of life and connects us to our history and culture.  Whether you continue to read hardcopy books or have converted to an e-reader there are resources for everyone.  I’d like to see a greater awareness of the lending services that the library has to offer.  

My vision for Camrose County is for it to continue to be a great place to live, work and play, as their motto suggests.  The more opportunities we have for employment, business development, and recreational activities, the more we can see our populations thrive.

Link to Campaign: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100072057190763